The first Veterans Day, was Armistice Day in 1919, marked the date when Germany and the Allies signed a 1918 agreement to end the fighting in World War I.
It was officially approved as a national holiday on May 13, 1938 to primarily honor veterans of World War I. Almost two decades after in 1954, it became a day to recognize American veterans of all wars, and the name changed to its current form, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Many businesses are offering deals for our Veterans today. Here are a few.
- 7-Eleven: scan your 7-Eleven app at checkout and get a free coffee or Big Gulp.
- Applebee's: Military veterans and active-duty service members will be able to eat a free meal selected from the Applebee's Veterans Day Menu at participating Applebee's across the U.S. on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.
- Bob Evans: veterans and active-duty military can enjoy a free special menu on Nov. 11.
- Bonefish Grill: Military receive a 10 percent discount year-round.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Veteran and active-duty guests are invited to California Pizza Kitchen to enjoy a free meal from a pre-selected menu. On Nov. 11, order your meal to go or dine-in and also receive a Bounceback, which is good for one free pizza, pasta or salad with the purchase of a pizza, pasta or salad. The Bounceback is valid from Nov. 12 through Nov. 20. Veteran or active military guests must be in uniform or show military ID or other proof of service.
- Carrabba's: Service members and first responders receive 10 percent off any visit to Carrabba's year-round.
- Chili's: free Veterans Day meal on Nov. 11.
- Cracker Barrel: On Veterans Day, Veterans can enjoy a complimentary slice of Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake when you dine with them on Nov. 11.
- Denny's: Denny's is offering a complimentary Build Your Own Grand Slam breakfast to all active, nonactive and retired military personnel. Offer valid for dine-in from 5 a.m. until noon with valid military ID.
- Dunkin': veterans and active-duty military a free donut of their choice, no purchase necessary at participating Dunkin' restaurants.
- Famous Dave's BBQ: Thanking veterans with a meal, all day on Nov. 11,Famous Dave's BBQis offering onefree Georgia Chopped Pork Sandwich plus One Sideto all military personnel for either
- Golden Corral: On Wednesday, Nov. 11, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.,Golden Corral will be giving out Veterans Day free meals and a beverage to any person who has ever served in the U.S. military or is on current active duty. This includes retirees, veterans, National Guard, and reserves.
- Little Caesars Pizza: On Wednesday, Nov. 11, from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m., all United States Armed Forces veterans and active military are invited to Little Caesars Pizza for a free lunch combo, featuring four slices of Little Caesars popular Detroit-style deep pizza and a 20-ounce Pepsi product.
- Omaha Steaks: Year round Omaha Steaks offers a 10 percent military discount active-duty military, retirees, veterans, military spouses and dependents.
- Outback Steakhouse: Free Bloomin' Onion and Coke products at Outback Steakhouse on Wednesday, Nov. 11 in honor of Veterans Day.
- Publix: Veterans, active military personnel and their families receive 10 percent off on Veterans Day at Publix Super Markets on Nov. 11.
- Red Lobster: In honor of Veterans Day, guests with a valid military ID or proof-of-service, can receive a free appetizer or dessert from a select menu at Red Lobster
- Red Robin: Veterans and active military who are Red Robin Royalty members will have their free Tavern Double Burger with Steak Fries offer, good from Nov. 12 through Nov. 30, automatically uploaded to their dashboard.
- Starbucks: Veterans, military service members and their spouses can enjoy a free Tall Hot Brewed Coffee on Nov. 11, at participating Starbucks
- Texas Roadhouse: Active, former, or retired military members can drive throughTexas Roadhouseparking lots on Wednesday, Nov. 11, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to receive a free dinner voucher in honor of Veterans Day. Veterans and active military can redeem their dinner vouchers in-store until June of next year.
- National Parks - Current U.S. military members and dependents in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard as well as Reserve and National Guard members can obtain a free annual National Park Pass(value $80), by showing a Common Access Card (CAC) or Military ID (Form 1173) in person at issuing facilities.
- Great Clips: On Nov. 11,Great Clips continues their annual Thank-a-Veteran promotion. Say "thank you" to a Veteran on Veterans Day by visiting a U.S. Great Clips salon on Veterans Day, purchasing a service and receive a free haircut card to give to a military service member you know.
- Jiffy Lube: Offering a discount of 25% off their car care services.